Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Triangle of Onions

I seldom do what most folks do.  Grew taller than most women (6' 1")--that set the bar right off--which was really out of my control, but gave me the foundational premise from which to work.  Admitting right up front here, however, that it took me at least 40 years to ease out of the need to conform, to slide into the joy of being myself, to expand a bit more every day into possibilities.

Waiting for imagination to strike--to be planted soon
Wow!  What that has to do with onions is yet to be revealed.  My bag of 80 onion sets has been waiting on the kitchen counter for a month nearly. They were white onions.  I was waiting until a convenient trip out to buy sets for yellow onions.  Done.  The bags (3 all together=240 onion sets) have sprouting slowly into the Things I get to do today for at least two weeks as other things pushed to the fore. Daily promises to the three-bags-full were broken.  But today I got a firm grip on my determination, and though it was time for a dinner I had not yet prepared, I planted onions.*


Triangle of onions

Contrary to the instructions on the bag, designed to keep all of us in conformity and an ordinary state (boring, same-old-same-old, mundane, unimaginative, uninspired, dull), I planted the onions in my flower bed, and not in rows, either.  I thought waves would be nice. I planted two two-row waves.  And then I planted a triangle--between the larkspur and the peony.  They told me they would be happy there.  I believe them.




*After sharing with neighbors and friends and planting a few to fulfill my promise, there are plenty left to tuck here and there about the yard in the sunny spots.  Just too fun for words.

4 comments:

  1. Waves of onions. I like that idea. And wow you are tall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Tall. Keep my ladders in my legs 'cause it makes all these projects so much easier (except bending over to plant onions)!

      Delete
  2. You'd fit right in with us! I'm by far the shortest woman in my family at 5'7, the tallest (also) being 6'1, and a few in between (and we're not much on conforming either :) ). The men are even taller. I can't wait to see your harvest. What do you do with all of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A-a-ah, thanks for fitting me into your family. Feels cozy there. What will I do with all of them? I haven't any idea! I just bought a whole bunch, and then, and then. . .well, I don't know. We do use a lot of onions and the yellow ones are good keepers when they've dried a bit. And I have from now until harvest to come up with a blog on what to do with all those onions.

      Delete