Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cute Kefir Cheese

Kefir ready to drink or make cheese





Maybe it's the alcohol.  I'm loving all the kefir that has been turned out in this kitchen in the last week and a half.  I've consumed nearly all of it myself.  It can have up to 3% alcohol, but I'm sure mine is closer to .5%--just a little fizzy on the tongue.














Kefir cheese--about four hours of draining off the whey.


Making kefir cheese is one of the simplest Things I get to do today. Pour the kefir (grains removed and placed in a jar of plain milk for another brewing) into a cheese cloth and suspend it until it's reasonably dry--up to 8 hours. When I unwrapped the cheese cloth, all I could think was,  "That's the cutest little cheese I have ever seen."  Next I'll salt it and season it a bit and spread it on crackers or toast.  It's very similar in texture to fresh goat cheese (chèvre).




If you want some grains to start your own kefir, I'll have some to share soon.  Just comment on this post and we can get it going.


9 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't think making cheese was that easy! When you say you remove the grains, is that the thicker part on top or the liquid on the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grains are about the size of a dried bean and are the combined yeast/bacteria that causes the kefir to ferment. Look up "kefir" on the internet for a full explanation. What you have left after straining out the grains is whey (the clear) and the kefir milk--like buttermilk, but better for you in all ways. Being a nutritionist person, you'll be interested in the excellent properties of milk after it has gone through this process.

      Delete
  2. Since this would be a whole new learning experience for me, count me in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let's get you going here. Check your email. I sent you a link to THE kefir site.

      Delete
  3. http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#what-is-kefir

    This the a very complete site with all you will ever want to know about Kefir. Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! We just woke up our kefir grains and are making it again. This is another great way to use what we produce! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you just loving it! Welcome back to kefir land where all is fizzy and fun.

      Delete
  5. Hi from a MJF Sister, I love my Kefir too...and I agree making cheese is so easy and yummy, it is so wonderful to see others enjoy this delicious product...love your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny! Welcome and thanks for dropping by with a comment. I'm new to kefir--haven't even learned how to say it properly yet--but am getting into the rhythm of it. It's like having a new pet, I swear. Long Live MaryJane and MaryJane's Farm!

      Delete