Thursday, December 15, 2011

Holiday Delight

Frost in the air means Holidays:  Winter Solstice, Christmas and Hanukkah celebrations.  And parties.  When I think of all those lovely people gathered together, I think of food.  Warm, fragrant, spicy, yummy food.  It may be cold and windy or rainy or snowy, but the warm hearts, warm drinks and warm food melt the chill, heating body, heart and soul.

Bird in the Beauty Berry Bush
While the frost was still on the garden this morning, Mr. Cheery Robin Redbreast stopped in for a bit of breakfast.   He's been visiting me regularly for a week or so.  I don't think he cares about Christmas or Hanukkah or Kwanza.  Warm fires, hot drinks and spicy food probably aren't on his list of favorites either.  He may not even know much about his relatives or family.  He has his own way of celebrating--every day, live fully in each moment.

 Sharing this moment with Mr. Cheery is one of the first Things I get to do today.  And the second thing I get to do is watch him enjoy is feast of Beauty Berries--his version of a Holiday Delight.  The third thing I get to do is find out if people can eat them.*


*Having done that, here are the results:  Beauty Berries are edible, but I have to say they are not tasty.  Bitter and bland as they are, Robin Redbreast need not be concerned about my picking them before he gets his fill.  To each his own.


1 comment:

  1. I'm sure i told you about my sadness of losing the pair of cardinals who have nested in my back neighbor's hedge ever since i moved here in 1990. Often i could hear his song/call in the mornings before i awoke; he would be sitting on the branches of trees in my backyard, trees in my neighbors' yards. Now occasionally i hear a cardinal, often see one sitting in the tree in the front yard; is it my cardinal? i don't know; but i welcome his song.

    ReplyDelete