Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Miss Muffet Makes Her Own

I've got a sweet tooth.  But right next to it sits a sour one.  Raw rhubarb, green gooseberries and sorrel were all favorites when I was a child.  There was a gooseberry bush next to my sandbox.  I ate all the berries when they were green, not knowing until I was over 30 that those berries would, if left on the bush, turn dark purple and grow quite sweet.

Another favorite was the whey from making cottage cheese (curds and whey).  I liked it still-warm with a tiny dash of salt.  The fragrance still makes my salivary glands ache in anticipation of that first sip.  All this means that making my own yogurt is rooted deeply in my--some would say "ancient"--past.

Every week or so making a very tart yogurt is one of the Things I get to do today.  As I lift the lid on the jar of warm finished yogurt the next morning, I nearly lose my balance and my head swims.  Am I three years old again?

Two-quart jar with 2 cups cold water and 2 cups powdered non-fat milk

Stirred with a wire whip until it is smooth

Adding enough warm water to nearly fill the jar and bring liquid to about 90 degrees

Remove the foam with a slotted spoon.  Mix in 1 cup of your favorite yogurt.  Place in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours.

Low tech yogurt maker:  Cardboard box, metal rack, two night lights for heat.  The jar sits on the rack, box flaps are closed.  An old towel is draped over it all to keep things cozy until the milk is properly fermented.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog and that it is something "I get to do every day".

    Wasn't sure if you are aware that you posted two, 2, blogs today. It must be bonus day.

    Love, Lynn

    ReplyDelete