Monday, June 25, 2012

Called String Beans

Beans headed up the strings




I know why--'cause these pole beans, you gotta put up string for!  What I want to know is do they always wind themselves up counter clockwise?
















On a mission



It's been nearly 30 years since I planted bush beans.  I wasn't any shorter in those days, and to pick bush beans you have to bend over.  I was 8 months pregnant at the time.  A firm resolution was established to ALWAYS plant pole beans.  I love picking things close to where my hands and arms are.

Stringing for the beans was first of the Things I get to do today one recent morning, and I marveled at the beans eagerness to get going up and counter clockwise.  Pea hooks seem to prefer that direction as well.  And the hops.  And the Scarlet Runners.  What do you see in your garden?

2 comments:

  1. String for string beans. Never thought of that. As we cleaned and snapped them I assumed the string was the string we pulled off from the seam. I do remember they climbed directonally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just being totally silly here, you know. It just "came" to me as the string was moving through my fingers. A little bean humor. Yes, definitely stringy beans years ago, and then they developed stringless string beans.

      Delete