Tuesday, February 21, 2012

By Guess and By Golly

Most of the time it's a meditation.  I love the rhythm, the feel of the yarn, the fragrance of the fiber. And while one is having fun, it's amazing to see an object grow.  Magic.  Again.

From the yarn gleaned, gathered and gifted from Karen-of-Boston, one small skein of alpaca in dark teal caught my attention.  It was my sister's favorite color.  To knit it up into a skinny scarf would be a delight and an opportunity to practice a new technique.  I was fascinated by scarves knit on the diagonal that I had seen in Morehouse Farms Merino Knits (see post "Gifted by Friend" 12-29-11).

So I began.  About 6 inches into the project, I realized that solid-color yarn would not yield a diagonal looking scarf--no contrast for a slanted perspective.  Several other design stitches came and went--a dark yarn does not show off details very well.  Then a more creative bug bit me and I unplyed a length of grey wool and used the wisps laid occasionally along side the teal alpaca to create a diagonal mist.  It was lovely.  It was scratchy.  And mysteriously the width of the scarf grew to an awkward size.  My sister and I agreed it was best to begin again.

Karen sent me a gray, soft,  alpaca skein (seeds for another scarf) to mix with the teal, and my sister thought a rusty orange would give the project some punch.  This time the width stayed consistent, the colors blended, it was a pleasure to create every stitch.

Is there enough yarn to knit the last rows?

The sweet sorrow of Things I get to do today is finish off this knitting piece. Sad to see it go--delighted to have it finished. And here I found a puzzle: the diagonal scarf pattern has to stop and the end taper finishes it off.  How much yarn does it take to finish the "corner?"  I wanted to use all the teal, concluding the final stitch with just 12" of yarn to snip off.



Unravelled to the edge of the first orange


I knit furiously last night until the end of a Chopin sonata for piano and cello. I knit this morning until I took an uneducated guess at how much yarn was needed to finish the last 28 decreasing rows.  My answer was "more than these few yards." So unraveling rows and beginning the decrease sooner was my next guess. And by Golly, it worked.

By Golly design
Reached the corner before the yarn ran out.
More than 12" left. Better than 12" short!

8 comments:

  1. I like the diagonal stitches. I made place mats eons ago that I still have today, knitted on the diagonal and love that pattern. I have been wanting to do some kitchen dish clothes like that in some cotton. The scarf is very pretty with the little color in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What colors are you considering for your dish clothes? They are, indeed, knit the same way--an added element of creativity we all long for.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more with your appreciation of the meditation of knitting. Such a wonderful thing to see the fabric grow in your lap. I also know the wondering about whether the yarn will last until the final stitch. Lovely scarf, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the scarf. Truly was hoping I'd settle on a design before I wore the yarn out. So many lovely ways to settle into peace as we go through our days.

      Delete
  3. That reminds me...I need to get back to my knitting. I cast on, and then promptly put it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's raining hard here this afternoon--a perfect time to curl up with yarn and needles and ideas and dreams. By all means, get to your knitting!

      Delete
    2. pleased, pleased, pleased, pleased: the yarn arrived and the grey AND orange are perfect with the teal. lucky lynn: that soft soft and warm alpaca makes cold weather welcomed. i feel that i'm in a knitting circle with you and Asta and Marcia -- the best knitting circle in the world!

      Delete
    3. Oh, yes, this is a belated but concrete way of letting you know that the gray did arrive with you lovely note of gratitude. We make a swell bonded unit, don't we.

      Delete