Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Eels No More

It's done.  Knit the last stitch, work in and secure the ends are the last Things I get to do today. And I'm just a tiny bit sad.  The hand work and finishing took two days.  This writing is late in the day on account of that last stitch.

Neck detail:  Loved doing the ribbing and garter edge.
The piece has been baptized by immersion in water, spun to damp dry in the washer, and is now having all its crazies tumbled out on low heat, delicate cycle.  This is how to "block and finish" acrylic yarn projects from what I read on line.  Hope it works.*

Auntie's sweater was completed today, the same day she left rehab and the city to returned to her little town and a nursing care facility just a few blocks from her house.  My instinct to complete the sweater 'cause she just might live long enough to use it was correct.  She might live long enough to wear it out.  That's where doing the best job a person can do comes in.  And that's why I'm a little sorry to be finished.  I did my best on the hand-knitted edges for the shawl, and we worked out a truce, it and I, about cooperation and ability.  I would not ask it to do something that only a lovely wool was capable of.  I would knit one stitch at a time securing its trust.  It could relax and move to the next phase of its evolution.

These last two days of knitted garter stitch have had space for thought and contemplation.  Deep in that quiet I discovered an awareness that will bless my life forever.  Thank you, Auntie and Acrylic, for that great gift.
Auntie's sweater/shawl
I also had plenty of time to think of my knit nice sayings:  "A stitch in time saves nine."  This writing does not include the words that describe the many dropped stitches that were "saved" with breath held until they were safe.  The stitch in time saves nine naughty words is the real meaning of the phrase.  Can't say bad words when holding my breath anyway.  And what about making a "silk purse out of a sow's ear,"  knowing that even with the finest of skill, acrylic pig would still be the basic material.  We were no where close to silk.  However, while knitting/grafting the front bands on to the sweater,  I realized that my technique for holding the yarn was wasting time.  Revising the technique with another circle around the little finger will save me whole weeks on future knitting projects.  Again, gratitude to everything in this project.

*The dryer just buzzed its completed cycle.  Looks very much the same as when I put it in.  Get ready for judiciously applied steam.  And we're eating out tonight.



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorita. I'm actually going to "fancy it up" a bit more before it heads off to Auntie. An excellent space for deep learning!

      Delete