Thursday, May 24, 2012

Slowly a Swift

Words don't teach.  Life experience teaches.  And I'm learning.  Several months back my post was about one of the simplest and most clear devices I'd come across in a long time: an Amish-style swift.  A swift holds the yarn so that a person winding a ball of it can do it by themselves without growing another full set of full-length arms.  Brilliant contraption!

My first Swift



When I saw one and then bought one, I knew I could make this thing called "swift."  I bought the wood, enough for four it turns out, and cut it to dimensions.  Then I shaped it--all four of them.  Sanding and smoothing came next. The Things I get to do today will see me finishing the first one.






Which brings me to a quote from Confucius adapted for woodworkers, "By three methods we may learn wisdom (woodworking): First by reflection (seeing the process completely before beginning), which is noblest; Second, by imitation (watch Hubby demonstrate), which is easiest; and Third, by experience (learn as you go), which is the bitterest."

Somehow as I drilled the holes in all the parts of this swift that needed holes, I thought of my comment to Hubby last night that I would have him show me how to use his mini drill press device so I could learn by imitation.  But today I moved directly to experience which, though it was not really bitter, was a bit disappointing.

Whoopee!  I have three more that will benefit from what I've learned so far.  And as you can well see, this one looks pretty darn good regardless of its being my lesson book.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful Andrea. You have done a beautiful job and made a wonderful swift! The swift will work a little better if your skein of yarn is a wee bit tighter on the pegs. It won't jump the pins as easy when you start to skein off or allow droopers to tangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dahling! I'll pay attention when I'm actually using it--this was just a quick photo op so definitely not set up to standards.

      Delete
  2. This looks so nicely done! I've seen these configured to hang on the wall, too. I never got along with the free standing ones and used an umbrella swift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Joanne, I wanted an umbrella one but was too cheap to pay $80 for it. And then there was the storage. When this one showed up, I was tickled tan because it stores in no space at all. Glad you like it. All things considered, I was pleased myself.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, dear. Soon I'm on to finishing the other three--with much experience under the belt.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete