Thursday, May 17, 2012

For Evelyn

Rhodies--magnificent, exquisite, luscious
My mother-in-law, Evelyn,  loved flowers.  Mother's Day was her favorite time of spring--a son was born May 10th which often falls on that special day--partly because the rhododendrons are in full bloom.  We always hope that a few will still be fresh on Memorial Day.  We know she gets a special zing from having several lush blooms on her grave.

Tuesday's Things I get to do today usually includes a letter with pictures to my elderly Aunt Freda. She'll love these flowers from Portland.  While I'm at it, let's just toss this picture out to the whole world--for Evelyn as well.  All souls love beauty--and this one is a beauty, indeed.

4 comments:

  1. I love rhododendrons. My first memorable encounter with them was in Pennsylvania, years ago, when we went to Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water home. The Rhododendron's were in full bloom in the lush wild country side. It was breath-taking. Thank you so much for sharing this photo. Lovely. And so sweet you still write your elderly Aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kat, for sharing this scene from the East! Something about this flower makes one suck in the breath--breath-taking--with every single view. Aunt Freda says thanks, too!

      Delete
  2. I've seen Kat's sight, too. When I regularly drove through Pennsylvania, the sight of rhododendrons on the mountainsides in spring was stunning. The're all through the Appalacians. For Evelyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm every in Pennsylvania again (been there only once), I look up FLW's home and all the flowers. Would I need to come in May? Yes, for Evelyn.

      Delete