Friday, August 17, 2012

Hot Hen Blues

Lena Horne Hen singing
"I'm so hot, and I'm dry on love."


My hens are pro blues singers.  Hot days bring out all their best.  Bra-h-a-a-a-a--a--a---a---a--a.  Talk about a sad and plaintive tale!  Oh, my!  I can't make out the words quite yet, but the tone of voice tells all.  "Ain't no man around.  I'm so hot, and I'm dry on love.  When will this love drought end?  I'm so hot, even when the sun is down.  Ain't no man around."

The girls are hot, probably not hot for a rooster, but with the temps at 100, they are hot.  Even on the perch at night, they're all splayed out, begging for a little cool under their wings.  They probably dream of running naked.  Shorts and tank tops for the humans; down coats for the chickens--not fair.



Did you ever?
OK to heat the outdoors



On such days Things I get to do today let me cook outside to preserve the bliss of our air conditioning.  The rice cooker plugs in and stays outside till the contents are cooked and cooled.  While assembling the rice, water and seasoning, I came across these instructions.  Dang!  It really is hot if I'm supposed to keep the bullion cubes cool after opening a cardboard box!  Bet there's a blues line for that one, too.





2 comments:

  1. Well, I sure don't refrigerate my cubes!!! Your post made a nice smile on my face this morn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Kat, in spite of this urgent instruction, mine have never been the fridge either.

      Delete