Monday, July 9, 2012

Marionberry Thumbs

Big black "thumb"





I always pick the "thumbs" first. They see to it.  They are always the first ones to get ripe.

It's marionberry time of year. Just as the raspberries start to wain, right around the Fourth of July, you can count on green nubbins expanding and turning red, and small red berries growing FAT and plump and black.  Always the first berry to ripen at the end of baring stem of about six or seven fruits is the short one in the middle.  Always.





Ready to pick



Naming the short berry digit "thumb" was one of the Things I get to do today while picking berries.  After the thumb is picked, the other berries ripen quickly, though I'm sure it has nothing to do with the removal of the fruit.


Green nubbins turning red, then turning black



Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to make a cobbler like I promised a few months back in "Buzzing Berries." Stop by for dessert if you're in the area tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I remember these from my childhood. We just called them blackberries. Great observation; you may be a secret scientist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are first cousins to the blackberry, which, I believe, ripens in the same pattern. First pickings require no judgment calls on what is ready.

      Delete